Undergraduate Academic Advising

The mission of the Department of Academic Advising is to support student success by proactively aiding students in successful transfer and completion of their degree requirements. Through collaboration with other university offices and local community colleges, the department promotes admission, persistence, and completion of the program of study. Advisors provide relevant academic information and recommendations related to department, university, and higher education requirements, and they assist students in establishing and completing meaningful educational plans.

Students not yet enrolled at A&M-Central Texas may meet with an academic counselor to discuss how their previous coursework may be transferred and applied to their chosen degree. Prospective students are also eligible for A&M-Central Texas’s transfer program (see below).

All newly admitted and readmitted students are required to meet with an academic counselor--either in person, online, or via telephone--before they will be permitted to enroll in courses. Students may schedule face-to-face or phone appointments with an academic counselor. Students may email ug.advising@tamuct.edu to correspond with an academic counselor.

*All Social Work students should contact the department directly at (254) 519-5406 for any inquiries or to set up an advising appointment.

Academic counselors are able to assist A&M-Central Texas students with the following:

  • Declaration or change of major
  • Course substitutions for the general education core
  • Graduation applications
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeals (related to financial aid eligibility)
  • Consortium Agreements (related to financial aid)
  • Degree mapping/course planning
  • Class selection
  • Grade Point Average (GPA) issues
  • The transferability and applicability of courses taken at other institutions
  • Other general questions related to academic requirements


Students admitted to a partnering community college can enroll in the Warrior Corps transfer program.  Academic counselors from both the community college and A&M-Central Texas will work with students to prepare a degree plan.  Students may “lock in” this degree plan to ensure a seamless transition into A&M-Central Texas, with the assurance that their degree requirements will not change. This degree plan will remain in effect for six academic years. This program allows students to track their progress as they prepare for transfer to A&M-Central Texas and ensures they are only enrolling in transferable courses applicable to their chosen field of study. There are also scholarship opportunities specifically designated for students who enroll in this transfer program. The Warrior Corps program is currently available to all students at Austin Community College, Central Texas College, Temple College, and Texas State Technical College.