Superintendent Certification Preparation Program
The superintendent certification preparation program at Texas A&M University-Central Texas is a stand-alone graduate program designed to prepare effective district-level education leaders. Candidates completing the program and earning a passing score on the required state certification exam will be eligible for the Texas Superintendent Certificate.
Requirements for entry into the program are listed in the entry requirements section. The superintendent certification preparation program consists of six courses (18 semester hours) which include five content courses and a practicum course that are designed to support the continuing professional development of career-oriented educational leaders as knowledgeable and skilled decision-makers capable of providing visionary leadership and supportive guidance to schools and school districts.
The standards for the superintendent certificate are located in the Texas Administrative Code at 19 TAC Chapter 242.15.
1. Students must complete all requirements for admission to Graduate Studies listed in this university catalog.
2. For admission to the Superintendent Certification Preparation Program, a student must submit a formal application to the Coordinator of M.Ed./Certification Programs. This application serves as a basis for admittance to the program and for advising the student with regard to coursework and general graduate and certificate requirements. The application for admission to the post-master's Superintendent Certification Preparation Program requires that a student have at a minimum a master's degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a minimum GPA of 2.5 on graduate work, and submit the following:
- One (1) letter of reference from the student’s current supervisor;
- a 500-word essay with artifacts concerning both experiences in fulfilling personal and professional leadership responsibilities and future career goals as an educational leader; and
- documentation of official and active state teacher and principal certificates.
In addition, applicants may be required to successfully complete an assessment process that includes activities related to school and district leadership.
Admission to the program does not guarantee recommendation for certification. To be recommended for certification, students must meet all program requirements and satisfy the requirements for recommendation for certification.
Superintendent Certification Preparation Program Requirements
Requirements for Superintendent Certification
|EDLD 5317||Public School Finance and Fiscal Management 1||3|
|EDLD 5318||Administrative Law and Personnel Administration 1||3|
|EDLD 5319||The School Superintendency 1||3|
|EDLD 5335||Educational Planning and Resource Development 1||3|
|EDLD 5336||Instructional Development and School Improvement 1||3|
|EDLD 5391||Superintendency Practicum 1||3|
|Total Credit Hours||18|
Certification courses. Students must be admitted into EPP to register for these courses