Graduate Student Performance

Every student enrolled in the Graduate School is required to maintain a high level of performance and comply fully with the policies of the institution.  Students who have achieved admission are expected to maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA on all graduate work completed at A&M-Central Texas. The Graduate School reserves the right to suspend any graduate student who does not maintain satisfactory academic standing or fails to conform to university regulations. 

Probation – At the end of any grading period, if a student’s semester or overall GPA falls below the required minimum as set by the department (at least a minimum 3.0 GPA), she/he will be given notice of unsatisfactory academic performance and will be put on probation.  The student must attain a 3.0 cumulative GPA during her/his next period of enrollment.  Failure to do so will result in suspension.

Suspension – At the end of any grading period, if a student’s semester or overall GPA falls below a 2.0 she/he will be automatically suspended and may not attend classes for one long semester or the summer term.  Upon return from suspension, a student must sign a contract with the Graduate School stipulating the conditions that must be met for the following term. At a minimum, the graduate student must maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA for every semester thereafter.  Additional stipulations may be created on a case-by-case basis. A graduate student is allowed one suspension. If poor academic performance results in a second suspension, the student will be dismissed from the current program and may be permanently dismissed from the university.  Dismissal from a second program will result in permanent dismissal from the university.

Appeal for Bar from Attendance due to Suspension – Under exceptional conditions, a student may write a letter of appeal to the manager of Graduate Services asking to be allowed to continue for the semester, rather than sitting out for the term. Reinstatement will be considered on a case-by-case basis and approved only one time by the Graduate School. There is no appeal beyond the dean of the Graduate School.